Shirley Ryan AbilityLab in Chicago was named the best hospital for rehabilitation by U.S. News and World Report in its annual ranking of medical centers across the country.
Formerly the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Shirley Ryan AbilityLab has been ranked number one in rehabilitation by U.S. News and World Report for the past 27 years. Joanne C. Smith, MD, president and chief executive officer of Shirley Ryan AbilityLab, said in a press release it was a “great honor” to be recognized again by both physicians and the annual report.
“Inspired by our patients, we have led the evolution of physical medicine and rehabilitation for more than a quarter century, pursuing innovation and breakthroughs with relentless determination,” Smith said. “Now, with the recent opening of our state-of-the-art facility, we are poised to set new global standards that will change the process for scientific discovery and the way health care is delivered with the goal of better recoveries — and even cures — for our patients.”
The 182-bed Shirley Ryan AbilityLab employs 93 doctors and 363 nurses, and processed 2,789 admissions during the most recent reporting year, according to U.S. News and World Report.
The news organization ranked a total of 14 rehabilitation hospitals recommended by at least 5% of the rehabilitation specialists who responded to surveys in 2015, 2016 and 2017. An additional 33 hospitals are also listed, unranked and in alphabetical order, after they were recommended by at least 1% of respondents.
According to U.S. News and World Report, the top 14 hospitals for rehabilitation in the United States are:
- Shirley Ryan AbilityLab, Chicago;
- TIRR Memorial Hermann, Houston;
- Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation, West Orange, New Jersey;
- Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital at Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston;
- University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle;
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota;
- Craig Hospital, Englewood, Colorado;
- Rusk Rehabilitation at New York University Langone Medical Center, New York;
- Shepherd Center, Atlanta;
- MossRehab, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania;
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Presbyterian Shadyside, Pittsburgh;
- New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York;
- Magee Rehabilitation Hospital, Philadelphia; and
- University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
“Every day, Magee Rehabilitation Hospital works to deliver the best in outcomes, safety and experience to the patients we have the privilege to serve,” Jack Carroll, PhD, MHA, president and chief executive officer of Magee Rehabilitation Hospital, said in a press release. “It is an honor to have this commitment to excellence recognized in this way.”
For their 2017-18 rankings, U.S. News and World Report examined more than 4,500 medical centers across the country in 25 specialties, procedures and conditions. Their methodologies included risk-adjusted survival and readmission rates, volume, patient experience, patient safety, quality of nursing care and other care-related indicators.